• Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School,
Ballston Lake, NY 1954
• Wheaton College (Ill.), B.A. 1958
• Princeton Theological Seminary, B.D. 1961
• Ordained as a United Presbyterian Minister, Bloomington IL 1961
George Isley was one of the original founders of Christian Community Church of Kinderhook. George was ordained as a Presbyterian Minister in 1961 and began pastoring the First Presbyterian Church in Valatie NY. He was well liked as a pastor and respected for his love of Christ and knowledge of scripture.
Over the years, he grew and taught about the reality of the Holy Spirit’s activity in the life of a believer. George stepped down from the pastorate of the First Presbyterian Church in 1972. Shortly thereafter, he was asked to pastor a small group in the community. Eventually, Christian Community Church was founded in 1977. George was instrumental in the founding of Solomon’s Porch coffeehouse.
George’s vision for a Christian community was not the standard “church-growth” strategy. He served the community in a way that brought a deeper growth in the members through a few key strategies:
- Forming a team of elders, all of whom were being equipped by the Holy Spirit for ministry.
- Receiving only a housing allowance. Rather than receive a salary from the church, he worked in the community as a bus-driver for the public schools and as a chaplain for Berkshire Boys’ Detention Center.
- Relaxing the typical church’s weekly schedule, so families can be more involved with neighbors and friends in the community.
- Allowing the members of the community to share testimonies and minister from the front and to one another during the Sunday morning gatherings. This resulted in less passivity and a growing maturity among all the members, including a greater tendency to minister to their neighbors during the week.
George was an ordained member of Conservative Congregational Christian Conference, a Elder/co-pastor of Christian Community Church, beginning in 1976, and Chaplain at Berkshire Farm Center (for troubled boys), Canaan, NY. He was the supervisor of the Healing Rooms at the Prayer Healing Center in Albany from 2001 until his death. He took numerous caravans to Mexico with teenagers from several churches, was involved and supported Youth for Christ ministry in the Albany area
George married Carol Jean Carpenter on August 30, 1958, and they had four children together.